Over the past several weeks, we have all made some considerable changes to the way we do things, Cross Roads House included. I am happy to report that we remain open, providing critical shelter and supportive services to some of the most vulnerable men, women, and children in our community. Our hard-working and dedicated staff continue to provide caring assistance to more than 100 people each night. Despite significant challenges, the Cross Roads House social work team is diligently working to help residents find permanent housing.
We are so grateful for our friends in the community, who continue to make a tremendous difference in the lives of the homeless families and individuals at Cross Roads House. At a time when so many are experiencing hardships, our donors and volunteers have stepped up to provide critical assistance for our residents.
Now more than ever, this assistance is vital.
This year, for the first time ever, we have decided not to host our annual Benefit by the Sea, which accounts for $400,000 of our operating revenue. While we are disappointed that we will not be able to gather together for our gala this year, this was the safest option, and will protect the health and well being of those who may have attended. Our need is still great, so please stay tuned, as we will be launching an online campaign in the near future! We rely heavily on contributions from private sources to fund shelter operations, and every donation we receive helps to keep our doors open to those who seek our assistance.
Although we made the difficult decision to cease onsite donation drop offs and volunteer activities within the shelter, we are so grateful for the outpouring of community support that has allowed us to continue to provide basic needs to our residents. We would like to extend a huge thank you to:
- The AC Hotel for preparing lunch and dinner meals for all our residents every day.
- Stonewall Kitchen Cafe for preparing breakfast for our residents five days a week.
- The volunteer drivers who are picking up these donated meals and delivering them to us.
- Everyone who has sent in items from our Amazon Wish List.
- The donors who have stepped up to provide much needed financial support during this very difficult time. Whether donating online, or mailing in a check, your contributions are truly appreciated.
I understand that this is a trying time for everyone. We are all facing difficulties we could not have imagined a few months ago. Cross Roads House has always been committed to helping people who have nowhere else to turn. Even during these unprecedented times, the Board and staff remain dedicated to carrying out the agency’s mission, to provide shelter, meals, basic needs, and supportive services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness, and to help them return to permanent housing.
Thank you again for your continued generous support!
Cross Roads House has been taking extra precautions to keep residents and staff safe and healthy including:
- Moved some of our residents to a local motel to “decompress” our shelter and reduce the number of people sleeping in congregate settings. These residents are still receiving meals (delivered by volunteers daily), basic needs, case management and support services.
- Installed hand washing stations in our dining room and entrance foyer
- Conducting additional cleaning and sanitizing of frequently touched surfaces
- Implemented screening tools to assess for symptoms of Coronavirus
- Reconfigured emergency dorms by alternating mattresses in a head to toe configuration
- Installed a barrier at front desk to minimize contact
- Collaborated with community partner agencies to ensure the continuity of vital services like health care, mental health care, and substance use disorders services, via phone or telehealth appointments.
There are many ways you can help Cross Roads House:
- Make A Donation – For those who are able, click here to make a donation today. The gift you give today will make a great difference for the families and individuals who rely on Cross Roads House to make it through this difficult period. For more information about making a donation, contact Jessica Parker, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 603.436.2218, ext. 112.
- Shop Online for Wish List Items – If you are interested in providing items for the shelter, you can shop our Amazon Wish List from the comfort of your home and have items shipped directly to the shelter. For more information or to inquire about the shelter’s current needs, contact Kristina Siegenthaler, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 603.436.2218, ext. 107.